Nowadays, we often hear about coconut oil, coconut water, coconut shreds, coconut butter, coconut cream, coconut milk and coconut flour.
This list seems endless!
Recently, there is no doubt that the popularity of coconut oil has skyrocketed, and there is a great reason for that. Actually, there are at least 127 good reasons for it!
Coconut (C. Nucifera) is a part of the Arecaceae (Palmae) family and belongs to the subfamily Cocoideae. Its flesh is rich in healthy acids, and its composition of fat may vary depending on its processing process and type.
Namely, medium-chain saturated fatty acids are around 90% of its content, combined with a small portion of polyunsaturated and mono-unsaturated fatty acids.
The human body easily digests, absorbs and uses medium-chain saturated fatty acids (MCFA’s), as they freely cross the blood-brain barrier in the unbound form, meaning that they may be used to promote neurological health and provide energy.
Virgin (unrefined) coconut oil is extremely useful, and at the same time, it is tasty, cheap, readily available, and entirely natural. Moreover, it has powerful health-promoting properties, such as:
- Anti-inflammatory properties
- Antioxidant properties (prevents the formation of free radicals and the damage they cause)
- Anti-microbial/ Infection-fighting properties ( it effectively kills viruses, yeast, bacteria, protozoa and parasites)
- It enhances the absorption of nutrients (it is easily digestible; and makes fat-based vitamins, like vitamin K, E, D, A, more available to the body)
- It is nontoxic to both, animals and humans
- Powerful anti-carcinogenic properties (inhibits the spread of cancer cells and boosts the immune system)
Therefore, this oil is absolutely remarkable for use in numerous cases.
Internal Health Problems
If taken internally, coconut oil prevents, alleviates and helps numerous health issues, as follows:
- Chronic and adrenal Fatigue
- Diabetes – coconut oil prevents food cravings and stabilizes blood sugar levels
- Cystic Fibrosis and Bronchial Infections
- Asthma – in both, adults, and children
- Acid Reflux/ Indigestion – In this case, consume coconut oil after meals
- Mild Depression and Cognitive Disease –In this case, take coconut oil in combination with fish oil, CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy), and other treatment methods
- Bowel function –gut infections, constipation, IBD (inflammatory bowel disease)
- Cancer – Studies have demonstrated that coconut oil prevents breast and colon cancer
- Candida Albicans
- Allergies – seasonal hay fever
- Cholesterol – improves the ratio of HDL (‘good’ cholesterol) to LDL (‘bad’ cholesterol) in individuals with high cholesterol levels
- Gas – The imbalance of bacteria in the gut often leads to foul gas. This oil has mild anti-microbial properties and thus re-establishes healthy gut flora
- Colds and Flues – Coconut oil has potent anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties and is extremely useful in case of colds and flu
- Flaky, dry skin- Insufficient amounts of oil lead to dandruff and dry skin
- Poor Circulation – If you constantly feel cold or in the case of edema, particularly in the extremities, apply this oil to the skin in a circular motion towards the heart.
- Gallbladder Disease – Dietary oils raise the bile flow, which is beneficial in the case of gallbladder problems
- Kidney Disease and Stones – it is really helpful as it dissolves small stones in the kidneys
- H. pylori – In this case, take coconut oil orally.
- Epilepsy – Coconut oil may effectively reduce epileptic seizures
- Hemorrhoids – You should apply coconut oil externally or internally two times a day
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome – alternating diarrhea and constipation are key signs of IBS
- Hot Flashes
- Menstruation Relief – This oil alleviates pain, heavy blood flow, and cramps
- Liver Disease
- Heart Disease – it provides protection for arteries from injury that leads to atherosclerosis
- Lung Disease
- Tooth Decay and Periodontal Disease
- Mental Clarity
- Immune System Builder
- Migraines – In this case, you ought to use it regularly
- Bladder Infections and Urinary Tract Infections
- Thyroid Function – it provides regulation in case of overactive or underactive thyroid gland
- Prostate Enlargement – BPH- benign prostatic hyperplasia
- Stomach Ulcers – it soothes the stomach lining and reduces the growth of H. pylori
Topical Health Problems
The topical use of coconut oil relieves, treats and helps in the case of the following health conditions:
- Athletes Foot
- Decongestant – If you are congested due to an allergy or a cold, you should rub some coconut oil on the chest and under your nose
- Pink eye – You should apply coconut oil to the eye and around it
- Allergies/Hay Fever – For fast relief, you should rub a little coconut oil inside the nostrils, and the pollen will cling to the oil.
- Head Lice – Apply it topically
- Herpes – You should take it orally and apply it topically
- Ear infection – It fights the infection, and in order to reduce the pain, you should pour several drops of coconut and garlic oil inside the ear two times during the day
- Cysts and boils
- Hives – Coconut oil lessens the swelling and itching
- Acne – The skin which is susceptible to acne, is often excessively dry, meaning that your glands produce much oil and clog the pores.
- Sore Muscles and Back Pain
- Toenail Fungus
- Gingivitis, Gum Disease, Canker Sores – You can rub it directly on the gums, or use it as a toothpaste
- Circumcision healing – Coconut oil are helpful in the healing
- Genital Warts – In most cases, genital warts vanish on their own after 2 years of the initial infection, but if you use coconut oil topically, you will cure them after 6-month treatment
Personal Hygiene and the Body
- Body Scrub – You should mix some salt and this oil, or you can add some other essential oil for a better smell as well, and rub your body. Afterward, wash the mixture off and your skin will be incredibly soft!
- Bruises – It reduces redness and swelling, and thus accelerates the healing process. Apply it directly to the bruise.
- Bug Bites – It accelerates the healing process, as it reduces the burning sensation, as well as itching. Therefore, apply it directly on the affected area.
- Dandruff – Oil secretion may be one of the most common causes of dandruff. Coconut oil reduces it, as well as it moisturizes the scalp and alleviates the dandruff symptoms.
- Burns – It promotes healing and prevents scars. Therefore, apply it immediately on the burn and continue using it until you solve the issue.
- Swimmers Ear – Mic coconut and garlic oil and pour a few drops in the ear and leave them for 10 minutes. Repeat this method twice or three times a day, and you will solve the problem in a few days.
- Skin Conditions – It provides relief in the case of eczema, dermatitis, and psoriasis.
- Wrinkle Prevention and reduction – rub some coconut oil on the wrinkles and sagging skin, and you will strengthen the connective tissues and rejuvenate the skin.
- Chapstick – Rub some coconut oil on your lips and it will soften them and protect them, as it has an SPF of about 4.
- After Shave – Coconut oil successfully heals the skin after shaving and does not clog the pores.
- Deodorant – You can use it as a deodorant, but it provides amazing effects when combined with baking soda and cornstarch/arrowroot powder.
- Hair conditioner/ Deep Treatment – Apply a teaspoon of this oil to the ends and through the hair with the fingers, and use it as a leave-in hair conditioner. In order to use it as a deep treatment, rub in a tablespoon of this amazing oil onto the dry scalp and rub a bit in the hair ends and put a shower cap and leave it to act overnight.
- Diaper Salve – It has no chemicals and it is great on a rashy bum, and completely safe for cloth diapers.
- Eye cream – At bedtime, apply some coconut oil on the eyelids. Moreover, in order to reduce wrinkles, bags and puffiness, apply it under the eyes.
- Age Spots – In order to make it fade, apply some oil directly to the age spot.
- Baldness – Mix thyme, rosemary, coconut oil, lavender, cedarwood, Grapeseed/ castor oil, a little cayenne pepper and jojoba oil. Apply this mixture at bedtime or three times during the day and massage the affected are, and it will support cell regeneration.
- Face Wash/ Soap – Mix coconut oil with almond oil, olive oil, castor oil and avocado oil in equal amounts and use the mixture to wash your face instead of your soap. Rub it in, leave it on the face in order to act for 2 minutes, wash it off and pat dry.
- Hair Gel/ Defrizzer – Rub a bit coconut oil between the palms and finger comb, or in case, your hair is curly, scrunch into the hair on the ends.
- Lubricant – Note that it is not compatible with latex, but it is a completely natural, safe personal lubricant for sex and masturbation.
- Massage Oil – Just get some coconut oil and rub it, it is fantastic for massaging!
- Healing – As soon as you apply coconut oil on the cuts and scrapes, it creates a thin chemical layer which prevents viruses, bacteria, and dust. It accelerates the healing process by repairing the damaged tissues and has an incredible smell.
- Cradle Cap – It effectively nourishes the baby skin and helps you get rid of cradle cap. You should rub some into the scalp on a daily basis.
- Nipple Cream – It nourishes sore, cracked and dry nipples. Apply some of the oil on a cotton ball and leave it on the affected areas between feedings.
- Sunscreen – It has an SPF of around 4.
- Pre-Shave – It will prepare the skin for the upcoming damage resulting from shaving.
- Makeup Remover – Dab some coconut oil with a cotton swab and it will remove makeup and leave the skin soft and radiant!
- Stretch Marks – This oil effectively nourishes damaged skin and miraculously reduces stretch marks.
- Moisturizer – Apply some coconut oil on the body and it will moisturize it.
- Sun Burn Relief – Rub some coconut oil into the affected areas and it will relieve the sunburnt skin.
- Tattoo Healing and Moisturizer – The regular use of coconut oil will prevent fading of the pigment and it will accelerate the healing process and prevent infections.
- Toothpaste – Mix some coconut oil with baking soda and brush your teeth with the mixture.
- Acne Skin Fix – Apply a bit of coconut oil underneath the makeup or alone in order to reduce the stimulation of the oil gland. Usually, the skin which is susceptible to acne may be too dry and thus indicate that the gland excessively produces oil and the pores are clogged.
General Health and Wellness
- Digestion – Coconut oil contains saturated fats which control fungi and parasites that lead to indigestion and other issues linked to digestion, like irritable bowel syndrome. This fat also helps the absorption of minerals, vitamins and amino acids, and thus promotes overall health.
- Breastfeeding – Breastfeeding mothers should regularly take 3 ½ tablespoons of this oil in order to enhance the milk supply.
- Insulin Support – It stimulates the secretion of insulin secretion and the use of blood glucose, so it is perfect for diabetics and non-diabetic.
- Bones and Teeth – It helps the absorption of magnesium and calcium and thus enhances the bone and teeth development.
- The absorption of vitamins and nutrients – This oil makes the fat-based nutrients, like vitamin D, E, A and K more available to the body
- Fitness – It has been proven to support the function of the thyroid, boost the metabolism, and increase energy levels, all of which reduce fat and increase the muscle mass.
- Stress Relief – Apply some coconut oil to the head in a circular motion by massaging, and its aroma is relaxing and soothing and will reduce stress.
- Weight loss – Coconut oil contains saturated fats which prevent food cravings and promote weight loss.
- Gum Health – Oil pulling is one of the most effective treatments in case of gum infections and diseases.
- Lung Function – Coconut oil raises the fluidity of cell surfaces.
- Mental Cognition and Productivity – The medium chain triglycerides in coconut oil freely pass the blood-brain barrier and represent an alternate energy source to enhance cognition.
- Nausea – You should rub a bit of coconut oil on the inside of your wrist and forearm in order to relieve an upset stomach.
- Nose bleeds – This oil effectively prevents prevent nose bleeding which appears as a sensitivity to weather, like extreme cold or heat. This occurs as soon as the nasal passages dry due to dry or cold air, and cause cracks and burns and cracks in the mucus membranes. In this case, you should apply some coconut oil to the nostrils in order to strengthen and protect the capillaries in the nasal passages.
The dosage of coconut oil recommended for your pets is 1/4 teaspoon for every 10 pounds of the animal’s body weight two times during the day. However, consult your veterinarian before you use it.
- Clears up skin conditions, including itchy skin, eczema, contact dermatitis and flea allergies
- Helps in the case of ligament issues and arthritis
- Alleviates allergic reactions and promotes skin health
- Prevention and treatment of yeast and fungal infections, like candida
- It is excellent for the general wellness of your cats and dogs. You should add a teaspoon of coconut oil to their water every day.
- Reduces cough and hairballs
- Accelerates the healing process of wounds and disinfects cuts
- Supports healing – Apply it topically to wounds, cuts, hot spots, stings, bites, dry skin and hair
- Provides energy in the case of sedentary dogs – the medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs) in coconut oil enhance the brain energy metabolism and reduce the accumulation of amyloid protein which causes brain lesions in older dogs.
- Boosts digestion and helps the absorption of nutrients
- Helps the healing of digestive disorders – such as colitis and inflammatory bowel syndrome
- Regulation and balancing of insulin and enhancement of the function of the thyroid
- Reduces or gets rid of bad breath in dogs
- Enhances coats – the coat of your pet becomes glossy and sleek and deodorizes the odor of your dog
- Prevents or controls diabetes
- Increases energy and promotes weight loss
- Polishing Bronze – Rub some coconut oil onto a cotton towel and wipe down the statues in your home, in order to clean them and deepen the bronze color.
- Insect repellent – Mix peppermint extract and some coconut oil and rub the mixture over the exposed areas, in order to avoid insects.
- Seasoning cookware
- Oiling wood bowls and wood cutting boards
- Goo Gone – Mix baking soda and coconut oil in equal amounts in order to create a paste and apply it on the “sticky” area. Leave it thus for 1 minute and scrub it off with a sponge or with an older toothbrush.
- Make a soap – you can use this oil instead of other fats and make a natural homemade soap.
- Chewing Gum in Hair Remover –Rub a bit of coconut oil over the chewing gum stuck in your hair, leave it for half an hour and roll the gum between the fingertips.
- Polish Furniture – Mix some coconut oil with some lemon juice to polish the wood furniture in your home.
- Use it to clean and moisturize the leather products
- Seasoning animal hides drums